That Whatchamacallit Meal

Most of the time after a meal of creatively combined leftovers, I say to myself: "Well, I'm glad that's over with." But once in a while, I have just the right combination of leftovers and a bit of this and that needing to be used up, and presto! I have a meal that I would make again, on purpose!

I can't quite remember how it happened, but the following ingredients found their way into one skillet:
leftover baked potatoes
half used up onions, chopped
a variety of tomatoes, chopped
some bacon, cut into pieces
random mushrooms
a couple of jalapenos from the garden
a quarter of a bell pepper

I fried them all up in a bit of butter until the bacon was done and dished it up.

But then, I realized that it wasn't quite complete without 2 eggs, over easy with enough runny yolk to ooze down into my dish, and a dash of hot sauce. So, of course, I had to cook some eggs quickly. Oh my, but it was good. And most of the kids liked it too.

So, now, this is a regular meal at our house, but I'm not sure what to call it. I welcome suggestions. But for now we call it that potato-bacon-onion-pepper-egg-thingy-that-is-so-good.



Now that I make it regularly, I find that I have to start with raw potatoes. To cut down on cooking time, just zap them a bit in the microwave and then cook them. That way, you don't have to wait until you have leftover potatoes to try this meal.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022