Graduate # 1

Last Sunday we officially granted a diploma to our first graduate. We opened the house to friends, family and neighbors, and over a hundred people came. I gave a speech and gave Debbie her diploma, and Jay gave her a blessing. For those of you who weren't there, I will share some pictures and the text of my speech.







Dear Debbie,
     So here we are at the end of things. We’ve finished 12 years together as student and 
teacher, as well as mother and daughter. I’m no longer picking out your curriculum and 
grading your papers. No more assignments from me.  Educationally speaking you are no 
longer under my authority or tutelage. But this is also the beginning of things for you. 
New classrooms and teachers, new experiences and people to meet and new things to 
learn.
     Over 18 years ago, we decided that we were going to home educate you. There was not 
much discussion about it, we just decided and that was that. Although formally, you have 
been in school for 12 years, your education began at birth. And that’s what we wanted for 
you; a lifelong journey of learning and seeking knowledge and new skills. Our hope for 
you is that long after today, long after college even, you will continue to drink in 
knowledge and grow; to not be afraid of acquiring new skills and talents, to always love 
learning. 
     But more than that, we wanted for you to learn about God’s truth, His plans for you, how 
you fit into His creation, and how you can be a light to those around you. We hope for 
you to grow in your knowledge of God and to draw close to Him, in whose image you are 
made.  And this is also a lifelong journey. 
     I want to tell you what an incredible privilege it has been to be your teacher, guide, 
coach, and advisor. I have thoroughly enjoyed this adventure and I have few, if any 
regrets. I had help along the way with some incredibly talented people who taught you 
about swimming, music, sewing and horses, and some of those people are here today. 
Thank them for the knowledge and skills they have given you. Your father has been an 
unfailing support to me through this journey, and without him, it would have been much 
harder, even impossible. So thank your dad, too. This homeschooling adventure has had 
its ups and downs, and you have had to suffer through my mistakes and blunders, and for 
that I apologize. I know that the success you will enjoy will be mostly in spite of my 
efforts rather than because of them. But I still can take great joy in knowing that I gave 
you 18 years of my life, and that you and I saw it through to the end. 
     Now go into the world in peace and have courage; hold onto what is good, honor all men. 
Strengthen the faint-hearted, support the weak, help the suffering, and share the gospel. 
Love and serve the Lord in the power of the Holy Spirit and may the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you now and always. Amen.
Love,
Mom

Comments

  1. Beautiful. Wish I could have been there, so I'm so glad you posted this. It made me tear up; so proud of Debbie and I have so much admiration for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate