From the Lips of Children

I have a degree in English Literature, and I never really felt I used it until I started homeschooling. I'm a sucker for good books, and my house is full of them. I am a stickler for making my kids read good literature too, but in a moment of weakness I allowed a copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid into my house. For those of you who know me well, you are now wondering if I have lost my mind. (Don't worry, I won't let it happen again). "It's summer," I told myself, "give the kids a break and let them read whatever they pick out." I even read some of it myself, and I have to admit I did laugh out loud a few times. But when I asked the 10 year old if he was through reading it and if he liked it, I was in for a refreshing answer. He said he didn't like it and when I asked why, he rattled off several reasons: the main character lies, wants to cheat on his tests, tries to impress all the girls in school and make them like him (girls are really gross right now), he's mean to a friend, and the parents are clueless. I was tempted to tell him that he was really missing the point of the book, that it is supposed to be immature humor and taken lightly. But I stopped myself, and realized that my child is thinking for himself and analyzing what he reads in light of what he knows about God's standards. And isn't that what I wanted?  Didn't I want kids that don't just go along with the culture, but ask questions and reject things that don't square with Truth? Why was I surprised by his answer? I know I can't take the credit for this, at least not much. But he has spent a great deal of time listening to me talk with the older kids about things in the news, or movies or what their friends are doing, and helping them discern truth and error, godliness and ungodliness. And it's paid off! A small victory, I know, but a victory nonetheless. What most encouraged me in his answer, was his disappointment with the clueless parents. What he was really telling me was that he knows his own parents aren't clueless, and it's important to him that we continue to guide him. It was as if he was telling me to keep on being the mom that I already am, to not give up the good fight, to keep having a clue!

Two Scripture verses came to mind as I pondered this.
Romans 12:2 says:
"And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable, or well pleasing and perfect."

And Matthew 21:16 says:
"Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes" replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants, you, Lord, have called forth your praise'?"

And so, one afternoon in my living room, I witnessed a child not conforming to the world, but being transformed, and then speaking Truth. And I heard. Praise God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate