Walk in the Rain

My neighbor picks me up to take me to my chiropractor's office. All the way, I am telling myself it's a mistake, there's no way I can walk home, my back is too stiff today; I should have cancelled the appointment and stayed home. We can hardly see the road because the rain is pouring so hard. I'm in and out pretty quickly and the downpour has abated to a steady, persistent rain. One foot in front of the other, I tell myself. Take it slowly. You can do this. Not much traffic during this mid-morning walk. Going against my inner nature to walk as fast as I can, I stroll out of the business area of the town, and I notice all the flowers in the front yards. Everything is green and fresh, eagerly soaking up the much needed water. I can see the houses up close and I notice details that I never see when driving. The fire truck drives by and pulls into the fire station. A woman sits on her porch, sipping coffee, enjoying the quiet and the rain. I turn down a side street and thunder rumbles. I'm pacing myself to not hurry, and my back is feeling pretty good. I hear music and see some folks on their front porch relaxing. I pass over the bridge and pause to look at the creek. It's swollen and angrily rushes under me. More thunder and the rain is getting heavier. My small umbrella is only keeping the top of my head dry and the rest of me is wet. But I don't mind it. I am alone, it's peaceful, and there is no hurry. For going so slowly, I am making pretty good time and I am on my street before I know it. The sky is getting darker as I trudge up a hill. I try to go as slowly as I can. I'm starting to feel a bit sore, but I am so glad to be walking. This wasn't a mistake at all, it was a blessing. I see my yard and all the trees and flowers and shrubs that I love to look at. Home. I made it! Straight inside to remove wet clothes and give my back a rest on the heating pad. When will my back heal? I don't know and I try not to let it frustrate me. But just when I am feeling pretty rotten about things, God sends a random gift. Last week it was a nice summer day; this week it was a walk in the rain. Thank you, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate