A Gentle Answer

A disturbing trend lately, or maybe I am just noticing, is the use of foul language in formal writing. I am starting to see it in the newspaper and in online articles more and more. Just today, I read a very articulate, engaging article written by a recent graduate of a Montessori school. Apparently, formal writing was not stressed enough during his high school career. Early on in his article he resorted to a tasteless word, instead of something more lofty. I mean, there must be hundreds (OK,tens) of words that you could substitute for "stuff!"
Kids swear. I get that. They are trying out "new" and "cool" sounding words to add to their vocabulary to see what works for them. They think it makes them look hip and cutting-edge. But all it really does is make them look uneducated and vulgar. I usually stop reading an article after the first or second swear word because I can't concentrate on what the author is really trying to say. I am sidetracked by their sophomoric attempts to win me over or convince me that they have something of substance to say. I wonder if the author even hears himself.
Want to engage a reader? Want to draw them in and hear you out? Widen your vocabulary. Reach higher than the coarse and crude and common. Stretch yourself and your reader; don't drag him down in the muck with you. Make your reader look up a word!
Writing is in trouble if we continue to allow this trend to continue. I always delete articles from my social media that have foul language, and I do not share them. It's just my small way of protesting. I suppose I could do more; I could comment on such articles and point out that there are better ways for the author to express himself. But I hesitate; if the author so carelessly swears for all to hear in an article, what would stop him from directing it at me? And that is abusive.
I welcome feedback to this (and anything else I write). What are your impressions and experiences of and with this trend? How do you combat it, if at all?

A gentle answer turns away wrath...

Comments

  1. It would be bad enough if it were limited to the writing of young people who are trying to make a statement. But we hear it from supposed adults - even from the pulpits of popular preachers. Our choice of language is not just a matter of preference, but a matter of civility - and for Christians, a matter of obedience, a way of practicing speaking truth with love and "avoiding foolish and vulgar conversation". Defenders of this type of language refer to its more democratic appeal - a way of taking a stand against elitism and snobbery. But contempt for civility and standards of taste and excellence represents its own kind of snobbery and, I think, reflects a lack of respect for our audience regardless of who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, I find it in the writings of older people as well, and in articles written by younger pastors. And yes! I feel the lack of respect the author has for me as his reader. Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022