Soldier

Watching kids grow up is a mystery to me. It's so gradual and stealthy, from babyhood to maturity seems so quick and so slow at the same time. I have graduated one child already, but not much changed. She still lives at home and attends college. She comes and goes but is here for many a meal or a family movie. She is gone more than before, but as with growing up, the changes have been slow and steady.

But then my next graduate, my oldest son, did things a bit differently. He has spent most of his life pretending to be a police officer or fireman or hunter or soldier. He was always ready to save the city from danger or engage in heroic deeds.  He has read countless books and articles pertaining to those things. He has almost always had a weapon in his hand or near by, many times one he made himself. When he was three, he fashioned his hand in to the shape of a gun and whispered to me he was armed. So it came as no surprise when he started talking about enlisting in the military, for the life experience it would provide, as well as financial help with college. He researched the different branches, talked with recruiters and sought advice from various people.

And then he made a decision.

Recruiters like it when parents come along on meetings, so on a cold, icy day we drove to meet with one. The parking lot was covered in ice, and treacherous. My son extended his elbow so I could hang onto his arm. I used to hold his little hand when walking in the snow and ice and in parking lots.

He rarely shows his feelings, but I could tell he was excited. The meeting went very well, and the recruiter admired his transcript, not only for the way I put it together, but in that showed how much work he has done. There's a lot of paperwork to fill out and many questions to be answered, and it took a couple of hours. I mostly sat and listened, as I had few questions. But I also watched my son. He was calm and collected, not nervous, and clearly in his element. He was always so calm as a child and nothing ever seemed to bother him much.

So we finished up the meeting and made arrangements for my son to take the ASVAB the next week and get through the medical exam and enlist the day after. In the car, I asked him how he felt. He said he had absolutely no qualms or reservations, and that he was ready. He was my only child born on his due date, not too early, not too late, but when he was ready and expected.

Of course, it all went well, and my husband and I had the pleasure to proudly witness our son sworn in to the Army National Guard. He knows the dangers and the responsibilities, he understands the time commitment and the value of the college education that the Guard is paying for. He loves his country fiercely and wants to serve and protect her. And after that, he wants to enroll in Police Academy.

As we sat in the recruiter's office I realized I was done with him for the most part. Done with school, done with helping him figure out how to get where he wants to go, done protecting him. All in one moment, I realized I was ready to let him go. Let him be his own man. And I was at peace about it.

I graduated him early so he could ship out in April and be back in time for school in the Fall. Perks of homeschooling. School was not always easy for him, and he struggled. But he always worked hard and did his best.

After 4 months, he will move back in and start college, so it's not as if he will be gone forever. And I am really happy for him to have realized a dream and to be embarking on this path in his life. It doesn't always happen that both the parent and child are ready to let go and be let go at the same time. And I am grateful our timing was in sync.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate