A Boy, a Clock and a Cashier

You never know what might come of a trip to the grocery store, and over the years, interesting things have happened there. Last week, I was at one of my usual stops on grocery day, waiting in a slow line with the 4 younger kids. The 8 year old, who loves to find analogue clocks and figure out the time, was studying the big clock on the wall. Only the 3,6,9, and 12 were on the clock, and the minutes were not marked off, so he was really enjoying the challenge. We discussed it and I gave him a bit of coaching, helping him think it through. He figured it out and by then we were almost done being checked out. We loaded the cart and went on our way. I gave it no more thought.

Later in the day, when I realized I had forgotten a few things, I went back to the store by myself. The cashier spotted me in line, smiled and said: "weren't you just here?" in a friendly way. I recalled that she was the cashier from earlier, and remarked at what a good memory she had. She said she remembered me because of my kids and how well they behaved. I get that comment a lot, but usually from older folks; this woman, however, was in her early twenties. But then, she revealed the real reason she remembered. She noted that I had been helping my son. I had to think about that for a minute, because, as I said earlier, I put the clock incident out of my mind. I asked her if she meant the clock and she said yes. She then went on to say in a wistful, thoughtful voice: "You're a good mom. You were helping your son- that's what good moms do."

I didn't know what to say other than thanks. Did she wish her mom had done stuff like that with her? Is she a mom herself, but feels that she is failing her child? Did my small, seemingly insignificant action affect her in a good way? I have no idea.

I do know that she noticed. I thought she wasn't paying much attention to me. She was friendly, but she was also checking her phone and busy checking out my groceries, so there was no interaction between us at my first visit to the store. But she was listening. And she was touched, somehow. That dreamy look that came over her face as she recalled what I said to my son, has stuck with me.

So many times, I feel rather invisible as I go on errands. Not in a bad or lonely way- I just don't give much thought to the people around me as noticing my every move and words. But some people do notice. Our conversations with our kids- loving, kind, patient interactions- can be a balm to a broken, hurting world.

Sometimes, just being a mom is what the world needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate