Lamb Stew

Poking around in an interesting keto cook book, I stumbled across a lamb stew. I did tweak it quite a bit to suit my tastes and pantry supplies, so I do consider this my own.

1 large red onion, sliced or diced to suit you
2 T coconut oil
1-2 t crushed red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves diced or run through the press
1 T freshly grated ginger root
1 T Chinese five spice (see recipe for homemade below)
2-2 1/2 pounds lamb cubes (I used leftover lamb roast, and I highly recommend it)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
4- 4 1/2 C chicken broth (have roast chicken the day before and boil the carcass to use in this!)
4-5 diced prunes
1/4 C fish sauce (I found some on Amazon, but an Asian store should have it)
1 T Miso (same as above)
1/4 C soy sauce
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

Saute the onions in the oil until shiny, add the pepper, cloves, ginger, and five spice. Cook on high for a minute, then add the lamb and stir. Lower temp to low. Add the tomatoes, prunes and broth. Cook for about 30-60 min (if using raw lamb, you'd likely want to cook longer). Stir in the last 4 ingredients and turn off heat. There are a lot of subtle flavors happening in this delicious, hearty and healthful soup!



Chinese Five Spice- After looking online and reading, I decided to make my own, as many of the commercial products do not use szechuan pepper. From what I read, the commercial ones just miss something without it, and usually use something else. This reminded me a bit of my homemade curry powder.

2 T ground anise
1 T ground szechuan peppercorns
1 T ground fennel
2 1/4 t ground cinnamon
3/4 t ground cloves
Mix and store in an airtight container

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate