Grief for a Brother

     I thought I was OK, that his passing would glide past me. He was so much older and not a part of my life. I was wrong, wrong. It sneaked up behind me, unbidden, uninvited, and before I knew what was happening, I was covered in a blanket of grief. I'm trying to sort out the various feelings and align them with things I know, but it all gets jumbled up in my head, and I feel a fatigue deep within me. Sleep, sleep feels so good now, I just want to sleep 12 hours at a time, or at least think and ponder in peace. It's hard to focus on what needs to be done; so I try to just do the next thing and no more. It's hard to see through this fog of sadness(?), regret(?), wistfulness(?), sorrow(?); I'm not even sure what to call it. If only I could name it, I could own it and understand it. Sorrow for the lost chances, the lost years, the wasted anger and confusion. Wistful for the past, for a chance to make things right, or change the course of a life. Regret that that I never reached out to him to see if he wanted to build some kind of relationship; the chance is gone like a vapor. Sadness that permeates.
     I know this grief will leave as mysteriously as it came, the heaviness will pass. We are old friends, grief and I, and we understand each other. I let it stay and work in my heart, without fighting or resisting, and it leaves peacefully, quietly, when it's done. It rearranges things a bit: weeding some old things out and adding new things. So there is no despair on my part, just a quiet determination to see it through, bear with it, but not without with a deep inner sigh in my soul. I didn't ask for this grief: I don't want it, I don't like it. But I do know that once it is gone, I will be different, a little wiser, a little more understanding, a bit older. And then the clouds will pass, the fog will lift, the sun will shine!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate