Quiche

     For years, I made quiche with a homemade pie crust. It was really tasty, but everyone knows pie crust adds mostly flavor and calories, but not much nutrition, even if it is homemade. So, I finally decided to go crust-less! It turns out that you don't really need a crust to hold the pie together; once it cools, it sets up nicely.
     Alas, I never paid attention to how I made quiche; I just gathered what I had on hand, and, much like Amelia Bedelia, threw the ingredients together. I really don't like following recipes as I feel they place too much restriction on creativity and spontaneity. But, today, I (sort of) paid attention, and made (mental) notes so that I could share.
     I have to make two quiches to feed my family, so you could easily cut this in half, or go ahead and make two, and have the extra quiche for breakfast the next day.

     I start by greasing two pie dishes. You can use whatever you like: butter, coconut oil or just spray oil. Next, I spread a handful each of spinach, mushrooms and bacon on the bottom of the dishes. Fresh spinach and mushrooms would taste better, but today I had frozen spinach and canned mushrooms. If you have fresh, no need to cook them beforehand.


     Then I whisk about 16 eggs. To this I add about two cups of cheese. You can use whatever you have on hand, and I find that a blend is more interesting. Today, I had mozzarella and pepper jack. Add 1 cup or so of cream or milk and stir. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg on the egg mixture and stir.


     Pour into the pie dishes and bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes.


     Let the quiche cool thoroughly before serving (you can gently re-heat it if you want it hot; the quiche will remain firm).


     And since you don't have that pie crust to feel guilty about, have a second slice!

     That was easy! Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate