Mud

Mud and kids. They go together like chocolate chip cookies and milk. Like a hot day and lemonade.

A large hole opened up in the yard after we removed a dead bush, and it became another world for the kids to play in. Then the rain came, and created an even better world; a muddy, wet one.


They played for hours in the mud with a few random items: a dinosaur, croquet balls, a frisbee and some little plastic people.



A bucket filled with muddy water served as a rain storm for the poor little people in their frisbee boat.


I almost hate the thought of planting a new bush in their mud hole, they are enjoying it so much.


But with kids, and especially boys, holes appear in the yard from time to time, providing endless entertainment.

And this is one thing I love about my kids: their imaginations and how they get carried off into far away lands and distant times. Give them some mud and a bucket, or a stick and an old sheet, and they are gone. Gone to another world and they become other people or creatures with special abilities or powers, and they conquer the bad and defend the good. Then, they get hungry or thirsty and stop by the kitchen for refreshment, still partly in their game and partly in the real world; then off again.

And I just watch. I have been watching for 18 years, and each child has had their own unique imagination, and the games they invent are always different from the child before. And I get to watch this unfold. Year after year, I have been given the privilege of observing imaginations at work, new worlds created, strange creatures come into existence, new people figuring out how to navigate this real world we live in.

It's taught me to always look at the potential in everything around me. And to see the potential in the people in my house. And I have seen some of the pretend games come to fruition, and I am amazed at the mystery that we call 'growing up.' Amazed at how it just happens slowly and suddenly all at once, as I am watching, but also when I am not looking.

Watching a life unfold, now that's a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate