What Sets Us Apart

Sometimes we ponder things for years, trying to figure something out, trying to get to the essence of something, only to never quite reach it. And then, out of the blue, when we aren't looking for it, the answer hits us square in the face, coming from an unlikely place.

It's been like that for me, on this home education journey. I ponder education of all sorts, not just the kind that takes place in the home, my home to be exact. I read as many articles and books as time allows on the subject.  I talk to teachers and parents whose children are not home educated, and I talk to other home educators as well.

What is the essence of home education? What makes us different from the rest? Why are home educated kids more likely succeed in school, college and in life? Why do employers and colleges love to add home educated kids to their ranks? Why have folks commented over and over to me that my kids are smart, mature, dependable, etc?

I know it's not because home educated kids are better than their brick and mortar educated peers. But what is the difference? I have had some theories over the years, but none seemed to quite explain it.

Then, one day, it came to me.

I have a neighbor who is a retired school teacher and guidance counselor. We have been walking partners for a couple of years now, and we are as odd a pair as you can get. We don't have much in common, other than a love for walking out doors, but we do have lively conversations. Recently, she hired my oldest daughter to house sit for an extended period of time. My neighbor agonized over all the details of her trip, but also over all the details of her house while away. She did many things to make my daughter's stay as perfect and trouble free as she could. She was even going to clean the house before leaving! I kept telling my friend to not worry about it, but she was determined to have everything perfect before leaving. I finally put my foot down and suggested she not clean the house, but instead leave a list of chores for my daughter.

And here was her response:

"But I am a teacher! That's what we do: we lesson plan, and have it all figured out for our students!"

And in that one statement, she answered my question. It was like a lightning bolt. The fundamental difference in the home school model and compulsory school model is simply that home schooled kids are taught and encouraged and sometimes forced to think for themselves. To figure out not only their school work, but life itself, for themselves. To think outside the box, improvise, do without, or change direction. Certainly some brick and mortar schools encourage this, but most do not. And just as certainly there are other factors at play that make a difference when being educated at home.

So when I least expected it, my friend innocently honed in on the one basic thing that separates home educated kids from the rest of (or most of) their peers.

And I wonder what would happen to our education system if this truth was applied in teachers colleges and in administration and in the classroom?

Something for us all to ponder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate