Spring of the Heart

The winter doldrums are consuming me and I feel like I'm stuck in quicksand. White, cold, slushy quicksand, to be exact. I don't mind the lack of sunshine so much, just all the rest of Winter's joys.

But then I start noticing things in the house, since I am hibernating.

When the 6 year old prays before dinner, he always thanks God for a glorious day. I wasn't even sure he knew that word, let alone thought that each day is glorious. In the Winter. In the North. But every day to him is glorious. Especially if it includes a game of Monopoly and Go Fish.

The 18 year old, who is clearly his own man and ready to take on the world, was recently found in the couch, buried under a mound of pillows and cushions and blankets with the younger 4 kids laughing and running around the couch, delighted with their prisoner.

The 3 year old, after a traumatic bathroom incident which ended in a warm bath, told me she felt much better because I had helped her. I mean, that's my job, but she was thankful for my help, not to mention able to articulate it.

The 12 year old, currently resides under the stairs, and takes great pride in his little room. I often find him asleep with the light on because he has become a voracious reader and takes great pleasure in a good book in his hideaway space.

The 19 year old has been house-sitting for 2 months but comes around regularly for food and conversation. Awww, I think she likes it here!

The 15 year old is writing a novel. A real one, and she lets me read a chapter or two at a time, and I want to know how the story is going to turn out.

The 9 year old attacks her school work and is a genuine pleasure to teach, and so the morning school work goes quickly. Her mind is sharp and quick to grasp things. It keeps my mind sharp as well.

Only a few weeks until Spring arrives, and I know that the ground will still be white, but Spring is coming. And until then, I pursue a different kind of Spring. It's in my house, in these children and in their little (or not so little) minds and hearts. It's in the things they say or do, in what they love and what excites them. It's in the very little things are are hardly noticeable. It's a year-round kind of Spring, and it's actually better than the real thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate