Stay-at-Home Mission

     My home schooling journey started 13 years ago when I sat my then 5 year-old down to start kindergarten. It was a really easy decision to make. Home schooling was and is still counter-cultural and against the norm. It's even kind of rebellious! Growing up, I looked for ways to go against the grain and question why we do the things we do. So, it seemed a perfect fit for me. I am often asked why I home school, and I think that most people are asking about the educational aspect of it. Not only getting a chance to challenge the the status quo, but also giving my children a solid education were certainly the foremost reasons for homeschooling in those early years, since we could not afford private or religious schools, and I was fairly sure I could do a better job than any public school.    
     So, armed with workbooks, colorful posters, a desk, lots of pencils, and a copy of "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know," I launched my homeschooling career. It did not go well. Not because I was unprepared, or unqualified, or even unmotivated; I was prepared and qualified, and very motivated. I had so much to learn, but not about education. I had to learn how my child learned, what was going on in her head, and more importantly, her heart. You see, I was all set to pump a bunch of information into her head without first understanding the best way to go about it, and without even taking time to examine what inspired or excited her. But the nice thing about home schooling that I learned right from the start, is that you can totally change your plans at any time! So I slowed down, picked some different resources, and started over, and it went much better. Lesson number one for Mom!
     Kids are not meant to be put into a cookie-cutter form of education. They are all wired up differently, as I was soon to learn when I started home schooling child number 2. He learned in almost the opposite way! So I tailored my materials to suit his learning style. Later on, when neither of the older two were reading yet, I was in a panic, because "What Your Second Grader Should Know" said that they should be reading well by then. I pushed the reading, and it backfired on me. I created frustration, resentment and confusion. So, I backed off the reading and let it happen more naturally. I also ditched my set of "What Your (whatever) Grader Needs to Know."  They got it in their own time, and went on to become very strong readers. Lesson number two for Mom!
    By the time my third child started kindergarten, I had a two year-old and another child on the way. I was feeling rather smug when my newest student taught herself how to read at an early age, and figured out her math book with very little help from me. In fact, I still rarely instruct her; she is just one of those self-motivated types. Turns out, she was learning in spite of my efforts, not because of them. Lesson number three for Mom!
     So, on and on, the next child and the next started school, and I was faced with yet another individual with a unique personality, ability, and learning style.  Along the way, education became less important (although I insist upon a college-prep track), and learning about my children and living my life in a purposeful way became very important.  Who are these people God has sent me? What do they want to be when they grow up? How can I help them realize their dreams and hopes? How can I guide them through not only school, but growing up into adults? Anyone could have taught my kids math and science and how to read and write, but only I could teach them those things with a mother's love and understanding. I have an intense desire for my children to fear and love God, understand who He is, understand that He is the author of all knowledge, and that learning apart from Him is useless. And on the really bad days, when a child is acting out, or is in tears, or angry, I can stop everything, throw out the lesson plan for the day, and figure out what is going on inside his head and pray with him and help him get back on the right path. And that always trumps math or history or writing assignments. Yet another lesson for Mom.
   The journey continues, with 13 years in and about 16 more to go. I am so thankful to be less than halfway through! 16 more years of spending days with my children, teaching them, learning with and from them, helping them, empowering them. The days are full of lessons and meals, laundry and tears, laughter and grading papers; the days are always full. Some days are hard and I want to ship them off to school. There have been weeks or months of chronic migraines, morning sickness or fatigue. I have never home schooled without one or two younger kids in diapers. But I am committed to this job, this journey, this ministry. I have been so privileged to be able to do this.  I am joyfully anticipating the future: getting to know my children better, watching them grow and learn, opening up the world to them, and then sending them out into that world to find their dreams and hopes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate