Slow Down

I just needed two things at the store, but I kept forgetting what I was there for. I just couldn't stop looking at all the people there. Old, young, white, black, tall, short. And their faces; I couldn't stop seeing their faces.

Slow down, and look at their faces.

I keep seeing a face in my mind; I don't know her, really. I see her around town occasionally, I see her at the pool in the summer, sometimes I see her walking. Her daughter was killed yesterday in a car accident, near our neighborhood. Dead at the scene.

Slow down, try to remember what you came to buy.

But instead of groceries, I see the faces around me. Faces that reflect their Maker's image. I think how pathetically mundane and normal and easy my life is today. I'm frustrated because I have a kid who has to be on a special diet? I should rejoice that special food is all she needs; and I would but for the heaviness in my heart.

Slow down, be thankful.

Waiting in line. How many other faces are hiding a hurt, a wound, a burden? How many other faces will crumble the minute they get to the safety of the car? How many will go home to a nightmare of a life?

Slow down, smile at someone.

And I want to smile, but it's so hard today. But I will, because I know how blessed I am and that there are some who can't smile today. I manage one smile before I am overwhelmed by it all and feel tears stinging my eyes.

Slow down, drive slowly.

The drive home. I drive down the street where she died, whisper a prayer for her mother. I drive slowly, and the street bears no sign of the tragedy that played out 24 hours ago. And I just want to let off the gas and coast along, but there is an impatient car behind me.

Slow down and listen.

And I'm home, in the garage, and I hear the happy noises of my children before I can open the door all the way, and they are all whole. For today. For today, I have all my children. Today, they are with me. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Slow down, hug the children. Slowly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate