Chicken Gravy

I served a simple meal of chicken gravy over biscuits to some guests and they loved it enough to ask for the recipe. Recipe?? If you know me well, you know I love to read cookbooks like I read novels, but I hate following recipes. Well, the next time I made chicken gravy I wrote down the ingredients and the amounts (it was killing me!) for my friend and decided to just blog about it for her and anyone else interested as well.

Melt 1 stick of butter over low heat. When melted, add 1 &1/3 cups flour. It will be a very thick paste, almost too thick to stir. Heat it through for a minute or so, then add 2 cups of milk. It will be very lumpy, so don't panic; the lumps will go away eventually. When it looks fairly smooth, add 4 &1/2 cups of chicken broth, or milk or a combination. I added all chicken stock. Keep stirring because it will lump up again if you don't, but don't worry, you can stir those lumps out. Add a scant tablespoon parsley (or less if you don't care for that much), a tablespoon of salt, and a dash each of pepper and garlic powder.

Add about 4-5 cups cut up chicken or turkey and 2 cups of frozen vegetables. I usually add peas and corn because I just don't care for frozen carrots. You can also use up leftover vegetables that you may have in the fridge- whatever you care for.

Let it cook on low for about 20 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes or so to make sure it stays smooth. If it seems too thick, add a bit of milk to thin it out. When done, serve over biscuits, egg noodles, or soft home-made bread.

This is a very large recipe, serving the nine of us with leftovers. You can freeze the leftover gravy for another meal, or use it as a filling for a chicken pot pie.


Tonight, we served it over egg noodles.


Enjoy, my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate