Pictures


I can see you smiling,
sitting on the couch.
Why there was so much strife
I could never figure out.
All I have are pictures,
some of them are in albums, 
but the best ones are in my head.
You were so handsome
and I was in awe,
you always smiled at me
and I loved you for it.
We didn't talk much; 
so many years separated us,
but there was a bigger gulf imposed on us;
one that we could not reach across.
A gulf of selfishness and pride
a gulf of secrets and sin
and no matter how you tried,
you could not bridge it.
You in your banishment
and I in my extreme youth;
there was nothing we could do
but smile at one another,
as if that were enough.
You will never know
how often I thought of you,
how I wanted to bridge the gap.
I often thought of calling you,
but feared falling into the trap,
of someone else's making.
So all I have are pictures, 
now that you are dead,
but that's all I had anyway.
Some pictures are in albums,
but the best ones are in my head.

For my bother Rob




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate