Latkes (with allergen-free options)

This simple dish of latkes pleases everyone in the family here. I've been making them for years, and with a child that has to avoid wheat, it was easy to adjust.

I start with washed potatoes and shred them in the food processor. I use about 1 or 1 & 1/2 potatoes per person, more if I want leftovers. If I am making these ahead, I cover with water and drain when I am ready to cook them.

To the drained potatoes add salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion flakes or powder, all to taste. Since I am cooking for 9, I add 3 eggs (for egg substitute you can add a few tablespoons of ground flax), and about 3/4 to 1 cup of flour (use a gluten free flour to substitute for wheat flour). Mix well with your hands.

Heat a large skillet (I use cast iron) with the bottom covered in olive oil or palm shortening (coconut oil works too). Form the potatoes into patties; they will not stick together tightly, but enough to get them into the hot oil. Once they start to cook, they stick together. You will need to add oil as you cook, so have some handy. When brown on one side, flip over to the other side.




Serve warm topped with ketchup, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a side of applesauce.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate