Ratatouille

No movie makes me so hungry like the movie Ratatouille. Every time we watch it as a family, we all want...you guessed it, Ratatouille. I have tried a few recipes, but they were disappointing. I wanted something just like the movie! So I poked around on recipe websites and came up with something based on a few recipes. This is what I did, but you can improvise:


Early in the day, I thinly sliced 1/2 of a large eggplant, 2 small zucchinis, 2 small yellow squashes, 8 ounces of mushrooms, and about 6 small orange and red peppers. I covered them and left them on the counter.


I cooked a can of diced tomatoes, sliced onions, minced garlic, a tablespoon or so of olive oil, about 1/2 cup of water, and basil, oregano, salt and pepper (to taste) on low for about 30 minutes.



I poured it onto the bottom of an 9x11 pan.



Then, I arranged the slices in the pan, just like in the movie. I doubled up the layers and still had some veggies left over. I drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled salt, basil and oregano on the top. One recipe I saw suggested covering with parchment paper, so I did.


I baked it at 375 for 45 minutes.



I served it over cous cous (cooked in chicken broth) with Italian bread, and for my allergen-free kid, I served it over brown rice. The house smelled divine while it was cooking, and, I must say, the taste lived up to the smell. More importantly, it was as good as I imagined it was in the movie! Most of the kids liked it, and some said they wanted to try it with pasta next time, so this recipe has made it into the rotation. And I didn't even need a rat to help me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate