Hapless Valentine's Day

Something has been bothering me lately about Valentine's Day. And it's not because my husband and I never go out on that day for a date. (I'd rather not try to elbow my way into a restaurant past all the other couples celebrating the holiday, anyway).  No, it's that the day has become all about romantic love; it's become almost raunchy. No, it is raunchy. This is the BIG holiday for stores such as Ambiance: The Store for Lovers. Ads on the radio and in print would have us think that the day is all about sexy lingerie, and other things that "can't be mentioned." And, should you find yourself unexpectedly pregnant (from your steamy Valentine's Day celebrations), Planned Parenthood thinks that access to safe and legal abortions make a great Valentine's gift. (Don't believe me? Check this out). Give me a break. Give me a break from this perversity!

Talk about a holiday that's been hijacked. At least Santa Clause brings presents to children, vaguely resembling the wise men bringing gifts to the Christ Child. Yes, Easter has been hijacked by a bunny, which really has nothing to do with a man dying on a cross, but I digress.

But sex and Valentine's Day? The origins of this day have nothing to do with romantic love at all. Valentine, a Christian living in Rome during the 3rd century was a priest and a healer who loved Jesus. While trying to heal the blind, young daughter of a Roman soldier, Valentine was hauled off to prison solely for being a Christian. As the legend goes, while in prison, and before he was executed, Valentine sent a flower to the girl with a note that simply said: "From your Valentine." Legend or true, or somewhere in between, the man was showing the love of a friend.

After all these years of sensing something was not quite right about the way we as a culture celebrate this day (I admit, I am slow at times), the ads on the radio made it clear; I finally figured out what was wrong. The culture would have me believe that the only way to really celebrate Valentine's Day properly is by having a steamy date, wearing something provocative, or unmentionable. Something in me snapped. How typical of our culture to use sex to sell stuff. But it's not all bad; at least the Easter Bunny hasn't turned into a Playboy Bunny. Yet.

For years, I have gathered the kids and read aloud the story of Saint Valentine, maybe made cookies with them, or given them chocolates. The day has been about love, not the exclusive romantic kind, but the all encompassing love of Christ. We have used that day to celebrate a man who stood firm in his faith and shared the love of Christ with others. Sure, I wish my husband a happy Valentine's Day, he might buy me flowers and we usually split a box of chocolates, but we also wish the kids, neighbors and friends the same!

There is a time to celebrate the romantic love between couples, such as an anniversary (OK, any day is good to celebrate that). And I really don't need anyone to tell me how to do it. But I, for one, refuse to buy into the culture's dictate that this day is for lovers only. It's for showing love and appreciation to anyone we choose, and if we are in Christ, it's a great day to share His love with those we care about.

Happy Valentines's Day my friends!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate