High School

High School. It happened so fast; I looked away, and then I had kids in High School.

This is a point at which many home educators, for a variety of reasons, enroll their kids in a traditional school. And I considered it, too. The weight would be off my shoulders! I could concentrate on my younger kids! Think of all the money I could save on curriculum! But then I would have to accommodate an outside entity's schedule. The younger kids would  no longer see their older siblings. There would be expenses with a child in school, just different ones than we were used to.

So, to me, it just was not worth it. I had already invested 8 or 9 years in their education, all or most of it leading up to their final four years, and I was not willing to just hand that all over to someone else to finish. I guess I can be stubborn that way, wanting to finish what I started.

And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As I stated in an earlier post about the middle school years by the time my kids were in 8th grade or so, they were doing a lot on their own. High School was just a continuation of that learning model. I want my kids to have a college prep education whether or not they attend college, so I based my curriculum on that. Every state has its own requirements, and they are not that burdensome; most home educated kids graduate with more credits than they need. But basically, my kids have to take 4 years each of math, science, history, foreign language, language arts, and art or music. Anything outside those subjects became electives or extra curricular activities, and they have been involved in choosing what to do or study. My oldest, and only graduate so far, had 40 credits when she was done, well over what the state required.

In addition to college prep classes, I recommend your child take the SAT and the ACT. They are different, and my oldest did much better on one of them than the other.  Plus, you never know which tests colleges will accept; some accept both, and some accept only one. A standardized test score listed somewhere on your transcript carries a bit of weight when you are the one (and not a school) generating it.

Yes, about that transcript. When my oldest entered high school, I started reading up on making my own transcript for her. There is plenty of information out there, and I was quickly overwhelmed. I happened upon an author named Jane Campbell, who I found to be helpful and uncomplicated. Her website, found here has many other materials you may find useful. I used the simplest form she offered in her book Transcripts Made Easy, my husband created  a template using Word, and I filled in the information I had been keeping about my student's grades, classes and activities. If you have a friend who is in education, as I do, ask them to look over your transcript and give you some feedback. And, yes, parent-generated transcripts are legal and valid, and more and more colleges are accepting them.

But what about that High School Experience all kids should have? You know, the dating and breakups, the drama and parties, the peer pressure and drinking and drugs; what about all that? Bypassed. What about friends and school clubs and other opportunities? Well, my kids have friends from different jobs and activities, and opportunities have come their way from a variety of directions. Sure, some of my older kids have been curious about what school is like, but they also know enough to know they have not missed much.

We have trudged through High School together, the kids forging ahead and becoming more independent while I become less involved and more of a coach and facilitator. It's hard work and sometimes I wonder if I'm doing it "right." But the rewards have been many, not the least of which was the profound sense of satisfaction in handing a diploma to my first graduate; a diploma she worked hard for. God willing, I look forward to handing out diplomas to the rest of my kids.

Comments

  1. It does happen fast, doesn't it?!? So glad you decided to continue homeschooling. We are also going all the way. My oldest son is in 9th grade this year and we're enjoying it.

    I was also intimidated to homeschool high school at first - but it hasn't been any different than previous years other than the fact that we're recording it all for his transcript. So far so good!

    Oh, I also got a lot of information about homeschooling high school from looking at Lee Binz's website and books: www.thehomescholar.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marino Natale Lettera 2023

Marino Natale 2022

Reasons Not to Home Educate